Friday 3 February 2012

Neutrals The Word!

Taupe, beige, cream, stone, putty, call it what you will, I love this colour palette!  Trust me it is not boring to invest in this colour scheme, these tones are the ideal backdrop for bolder statements in design to showcase furniture, fabrics and home accessories.  



Don't get me wrong my love of neutral based shades occasionally goes off piste...well ever so slightly.  I'm loving a cool shade of grey at the moment, in fact I have just painted one of my bedrooms in Farrow and Ball's Elephant Breath with a toning accent on the chimney breast of its warmer sibling Skimming Stone.  The cool shades against the heavy beams looks so light and airy, I love, love, love the final result!  I now just need the Stockholm furniture range by The White Company (here's hoping), the fabulously quirky lamps by Brissi, some crisp white bed linen, a textured throw, a few scatter cushions and hey presto, a bedroom of calm sophistication completed!


For my next project I want to focus on a more warmer finish...

I love my house to be a place of calm and as Spring approaches I especially love the idea of a cool, clean looking space, with walls awashed in this subtle neutral palette.  Bliss!  Please do not mistake my desired neutral colour palette to be an easy option or a design cop out, slapping on a few coats of magnolia this is not!  My neutral back drop will be the perfect setting for deeper, more luxurious tones and textures, I'm thinking...deep crushed velvet sofas in mushroom, heavy draped curtains in taupe with hints of black to give it a sharp stylish edge, along with elegant walnut furniture and finishing off with sparkling crystal light fittings and glass vases full of luscious fresh flowers.  Wish me luck!  X



No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear your comments...