Thursday 12 April 2012

Inspiration: Five Quick Questions With...

We have had a busy week here at Butterfly Lane HQ.  We have surrounded ourselves with lovely creative people to inspire us and they have generously shared some of their design flair and fabulousness for the Butterfly Lane reader.  Enjoy!  X


Natalie Bulmer, Features Editor for my-wardrobe.com 


Stylist turned fashion writer Natalie, has an eye for all things beautiful and here are her thoughts on home design, country living and her passion in life...

Who and what inspires you?

I'm constantly inspired by the people closest to me, particularly my mum but also get lots of inspiration from one of my biggest passions - films. 

Are you a country or city person?

I adore living in the city and could never imagine being far from one but am equally at home in the country.  The best of both worlds is where I'd be happiest with easy access to either way of life!

How would you describe your own home's style? 
     
Feminine and cluttered!  I'm an innate hoarder and enjoy girly flourishes like chandeliers and   Toile de Jouy.





Images from John Lewis and Cabbages and Roses

What do you think will be a big trend for this summer?


We won't be able to see for a plethora of print come summer and I can't wait as it's one of my favourite looks.


Image from my-wardrobe.com

Can you leave us with your top interior design tip?


I think the best thing is to fill your home with things that say something about you and what you love.


.................................................................................................................................


Ashley White, Interior Design Blogger for Decorology


American blogger Ashley has a truly inspiring interior design blog that showcases her love of all things beautiful.  Her creative flair makes her a must read and here at Butterfly Lane we are hooked.  Here is Ashley on her inspiration and how to ease yourself in to new trends...


Are you a country girl or city girl?  


I am at heart, a country girl.  I grew up on 200 acres on the Chesapeake Bay, and I lived in NYC for a few years.  I loved the culture and inspiration the city had to offer, but now that I’m back near the country, I don’t know if I would live in the city again.










Who and what inspires you?  

My parents inspire me.  They are the ones who gave me my work ethic, and appreciation of nature.  Nature is also my biggest inspiration.  The variety of patterns, colors, and shapes found in nature is staggering.


What do you think will be a big trend for this summer?  

I think we’re going to continue to see a lot of ethnic and tribal prints, such as Ikat and Moroccan motifs.


How would you describe your own home's style?
  
I would say it is a mix of new traditional and eclectic.  I like a mix of styles, but always tend to favor clean design over a lot of bells and whistles.  I also try to decorate primarily with objects that have sentimental value or significance to me.


Can you leave us with your top interior design tip?  

Before making a big purchase – always step back and ask yourself if the product is true to you.  You may like a current trend or style, but make sure it’s something you can live with a long time.  If you want to test out a new trend, buy a small accent of accessory in that style before purchasing a big-ticket item in that style.  I’ve learned this the hard way a couple of times.


.................................................................................................................................


Lucy Bannister, Founder and Designer of Shu & Me Jewellery


The ever so stylish Lucy creates the most beautiful jewellery from vintage finds from Paris and the UK.  Every piece is handmade and one of a kind and we couldn't recommend her designs highly enough!  Here at Butterfly Lane we are in love with her Emilie and Jemima bracelets, they are perfect finishing touch to any outfit.  

Here is Lucy on her style, inspirations and top tips for spring/summer 2012...






How would you describe your own home's style?

Well I'm currently still at home - poor mum and dad!  I have however had free reign on my room and I always use that 'when I have my own house...' line, so with that in mind I'd say - I love all things vintage (probably an obvious one considering the jewellery I make!), but combined with a modern edge too.  I like furniture/objects around the house that have a story to tell and are full of character, my nana just doesn't understand my fascination with stuff she has in her house that to her is just old but to me is 100% treasure!  I also love to be surrounded by photographs, old and new, so I reckon pictures in lots of different kind of frames would feature heavily too in my (imaginary) house!  I think it would be full of lots of bits and bobs but in an organised fashion!  A friend recently sent me a link to this and said this had me written all over it -  Jessica Barensfeld and Simon Howell 




Images from Jessica Barenfeld and Simon Howell's apartment

Are you a country or city person?


With this one I'd say I'm totally split down the middle, I love the countryside and was brought up going for long walks when I was younger, which I probably made out I hated at the time but secretly loved deep down!  At the same time I love the buzz of the city, with so much going on and it always inspires me to want to do more and encourages me.  As long as I can have a balanced life with a  bit of both, I'm happy!


Who and what inspires you?


I take a lot of inspiration from just everyday people watching and the events going on around me, I love 'street style' features in magazines and online, also blogs like The Sartorialist.  I also think blogs like this one are always brilliant too to find out hidden gems of info, finding new places, ideas for interiors, fashion inspiration etc.  If I had to pick a person who's style I like I think Olivia Palermo's style is always quite effortlessly chic.  


The gorgeous Miss Palermo.  Image: FabSugar

What do you think will be a big trend for this summer?


I think the whole colour blocking trend will be big this summer, I'm a massive fan already and it's nice to see some colour on the catwalk whether it's the more subtle pastel shades or the bolder brights, I think if done properly it's a lovely trend and has encouraged me to step away from the safer dark side!

Can you leave us with your top interior design tip?


If you're like me and love 'stuff' but don't necessarily have the space I think stylish storage when it come to interior design is key!  To make a small room feel big use clever ways of storing things, I love quirky items liked stacked vintage suitcases, they make a great feature and also somewhere to store all of your things! 






















...............................................................................................................................

Rebecca Woodrow, Pretty Polly


Creating all your hosiery needs from the fabulous and fashion forward to everyones favourite tummy tucking opaques, Rebecca works for the likes of Henry Holland and many more. Here are her design tips for a very stylish home...


Are you a country or a city person? 

I would say I'm more of a town girl.  I love being close to the city looking at fast fashion and life styles. Yet I love stepping back and escaping into the scenery and my thoughts with long country walks with the dog.

How would you describe your own home's style?

I would like to call it shabby grandeur, though sometimes the shabby comes across more than the grandeur I'm sure!  Guess I will spend my life evolving & tweaking to get the desired look.






Who and what inspires you?

Eras inspire me from Edwardian times to the decadent 30's.








What do you think will be a big trend for this summer?

Popping rainbow colours of club tropicana to soft subtle shade of nude/white in textured knit wear. However with the Jubilee and the Olympics there will be a love of all this British .... think bunting and street parties.







Can you leave us with your top interior design tip?


To trust yourself in judgment and decisions, taste is a personal opinion.

All images from Rebecca Woodrow


A big thank you from Butterfly Lane to everyone who took part in this feature!  X


No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear your comments...